Monday, August 30, 2010

Midnight poetry II











Your hand heavy on my hip
as I sleep, grazes my shoulder
with a fingertip, a feather-light
kiss just behind my ear, a touch
to let me know you’re there.
To let you know it, too.

Is love this needy, this wanting,
forever?  Or are we simply
two lonely souls who sought
each other out for comfort
and solemnly wait for
Happiness?

He finds the soft curve
between ribs and hip,
and here his hand rests,
heavy and comforting,
through this dark night
as peaceful Sleep finally
wraps me in her arms.

Do you remember
how to find the one
called Happiness?
Walk slowly, head bowed.
Take steady, deep breaths.

And sleep in the company
of strangers until
they are strange
no longer.

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful. I identify with it, I love how it ends. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete